Search This Blog

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Favorite Tunes #197: To Be This Good Takes Ages

As I was going through the happening Studiopolis Zone Act 1 in Sonic Mania, I came across one of SEGA's old advertising slogans: To be this good takes Ages. Ages spelled backwards is, of course, SEGA. I've been wanting to do another SEGA focused Favorite Tunes for a while now and perhaps what I saw in Studiopolis was a sign. Get it? I'll jut let myself out.

Stardust Speedway Act 1 - Sonic Mania (PS4, NS, XBO, PC)


I'm not going to mince words: I hate Stardust Speedway. Outside of the killer music in both the JP/EUR and USA soundtrack and the Metal Sonic race, the zone is not fun to play in Sonic CD. Kind of a shame too, because I love the look of the zone. The Zone is a bit more tolerable in Sonic Mania, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed bouncing back and forth through those springs and tubes. Thanks to sexy beast Tee Lopes, the music for Stardust Speedway Act 1 is wonderful R&B that will melt your ears.

World 3 (Under the Ocean) - Super Monkey Ball 2 (GCN)


It is so nice of SEGA to give that speedy blue hedgehog and Yakuza attention but I'd love for my favorite monkeys to come back. You just don't know what fun and frustration feels like until you tilted a monkey encased in a ball to get him/her to the goal. If you owned a GameCube, the Super Monkey Ball titles were a must and blue boy isn't the only SEGA animal critter with sick beats.

Take Back - Galaxy Force II (ARC)


Galaxy Force II is on the Genesis but it doesn't hold a candle to the arcade version. The game uses SEGA's famous super scaler technology like Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Out Run. If you want to check out a masterful port of the arcade version you can grab it off the 3DS eShop. But if you want it in physical for, pick up a copy of SEGA 3D Classics Collection on the 3DS. While you're shooting everything that moves you'll be jamming out to the game's catchy soundtrack.

Gigantic Fleet - Panzer Dragoon Orta (XB)


Do you like shooters? I like shooters. Scratch that, I love shooters. Flying around in a ship, shooting stuff down is cool and all how but how can you make that better? Riding on a dragoon, shooting stuff down. Toss in dragoons and you game is ten times cooler. It worked for Final Fantasy IV. I would love for SEGA to re-release Orta since I never got the chance to play it. If the music I've heard is any indication, I really missed out on something special.

VS. Metal Sonic (US ver.) Remix - Sonic Forces (PS4, XBO, NS, PC)


Sonic Forces is looking pretty legit with the tag team gameplay and the return of the boost formula. The game is looking to have a somewhat darker storyline with Eggman having succeeded in taking over the world. He's also brought back a few of Sonic's worst enemies like fan favorite, Metal Sonic. I enjoy the US soundtrack of Sonic CD and it's nice to see SEGA giving it more love. Hearing this Metal Sonic remix it making it harder to resist searching out more Sonic Forces music.

Last Wave - Out Run (ARC)


As is the case with Galaxy Force II, if you want to play an extremely good version of Out Run, you can find 3D Out Run on the 3DS eShop. Unfortunately, this one isn't bundled with a compilation of other SEGA titles. At least not yet. Out Run may only have a handful of tunes, but the quality over quantity is undeniably strong here.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: